Saturday, January 30, 2016

Zico Releases His Best Song in a While, Ironically It's Not Hep-Hap


I used to be big on Block B and Zico a few years ago but eventually I just sort of lost interest and with Zico's solo's and collaborations exploding everywhere and me not really digging them it's only natural that they just fell off for me. "Tough Cookie" was the deciding factor since that was hands down one of the worst songs of 2014.

But that's all changing with "I Am You, You Are Me."

What's interesting about IAYYAM (shortening the name of the song) is that it's typically the kind of song that wouldn't impress me but it has some interesting elements that keep me listening. Instead of it sounding like a sleepy track, the song has a lot dream elements and Zico actually sings more than he raps and it sounds overall pleasant. The song is pretty much strictly one-note not venturing off into one place after another, it's like an ongoing conceptual dream, and the song doesn't suffer from that, it benefits from it.

The music video is also his best in a while. It matches the dreamyness of the song by being pretty, simplistic, and stripped down (like the song, again.) It's just Zico and a girl following suit a concept without the acting being overly awkward or underdone. I feel like the director here really knew what he was doing since there really isn't a cringe-worthy moment in the video. I'm in love with the set here, it's super gorgeous. And like everything else, the visuals from Zico and the female lead aren't overwhelming. They're both attractive but not in that typical unattainable idol-like way. They're attractive in that "College students in Starbucks" way. And to be honest, this is the best Zico's looked in a while too. I'm glad he's finally ditched the blond and went for an auburn color, it suits him so well. The girl is also very pretty and I overall just loved the styling for this.

The set is really gorgeous with everything being neon but not in the blinding-4Minute way, the neon is a lot softer and offers a aesthetically pleasing backdrop to the two characters.



I never would have known about this song had it not been for EvaUnit linking it to me on my ask.fm so a big thanks to them. This song was quite the grower and I find myself loving it more with each replay.

I have a Yezi review coming up, but it might take a while since I'm STILL working out my bias list. It's not as easy as it sounds.

Anyway, really liked this song and video.

No comments:

Post a Comment