Saturday, November 21, 2015

[Review] CL - "Hello Bitches"


My expectations went from zero, to above, to zero again.

Although CL is my 2NE1 bias, I can't deny that YG is promoting her the wrong type of way. When I heard about "Hello Bitches" I set my expectations at zero so that if the song were bad I wouldn't be disappointed. 

I listened to the song this morning on SoundCloud (never seeing the video) and it winded up being better than expected. It's not anything great or good but it's tolerable enough. The trap isn't overbearing, and theirs an actual melody. I actually really like the bridge. The only thing that kind of ruins the song is the cheesiness of the rapping, the cheesy melody, and "Bitches" just sounds cheesy coming from CL (or the way she pronounces it at least.) And I don't mean the good kind of cheese, I mean the cheese you face-palm to. At the very least, it sounds like the producer tried to make a decent beat and that in it's own deserves at least a point.

It was at least a 1.5-2/5 but that was before I saw this video.

Judging from her instagram updates, I thought the music video was going to be a nice classy trip with a bit CL's flavor thrown it (think Hyuna "Ice Cream"-"Red" eras but very different at the same time.) Nope. It's just another trashy (and not in a good way) and try-hard (and not in a good way) generic video I could find from any other American/Western artist trying to make a quick buck. I actually got second-hand emberassment from watching this music video. It's extremely rare that a video ruins a song for me, but this is one of those exceptions. Just fucking why?

Needless to say, it shot down to a 0.

I know this may seem harsh, but CL is my 2NE1 bias, and I expect greatness from her. And I don't find this great at all.

I give this release a 0/5. CL can do way better.


No comments:

Post a Comment