Saturday, September 26, 2015

[MV Review] Red Velvet - Dumb Dumb


A bit on the late side with this review but it is as to be expected since I'm filling out college applications and anyone who's ever applied to college knows how much hell that shit is. Luckily Red Velvet released an awesome song to ease me through this process.


Remember when I said BTS's "I Need U" was the sad version of Rev Velvet's "Ice Cream Cake"? Well it appears Red Velvet has returned the favor because "Dumb Dumb" is basically the weirder version of "Dope." The similarities include funky horns, awesome driving bass, overall noisy production and extreme replay-ability.. The differences include the squeakier vocals, trap snares, and the fact that it's arrangement is all over the place. And it's all FANTASTIC.

Now for any of you newbies here, I'm not saying Red Velvet ripped off BTS or vice versa. I love both groups (Red Velvet recently became my second favorite girl group as of late, we all know I stan the shit out of BTS) it's just me reaching. If we want to get technical, both songs comes from origins. ICC is a sexual version of f(x)'s sound, and Dope is the hype-k-pop version of Flo Rida's "GTFR" which we all know, is another jab at Jason Derulo's "Talk Dirty" which we all knows borrows from every New Jack Swing song ever. But that doesn't take away from the quality of the songs.

The music video for "Dumb Dumb" reminds me a lot "Happiness" as it has multiple worlds that blend into one another seamlessly with lots of random props, fabulous quirky fashion, and some powerful choreography shots. The music video seems to also carry a similar trend to "Happiness" that ICC didn't have which was a sensible message. In the video you see Red Velvet in some Small Wonder outfits, which is an old (weird) sitcom about a small girl who is an indestructible robot, and to top it off, the members of RV are seen being churned out on a conveyor belt. This could be a nod to how a lot of k-pop fans view SM idols (or any idols) as robots, but could also be some insight on how they're also viewed as profit or the over-saturation/mass productions that is happening with k-pop right now. It even ties into the lyrics "Like a mannequin." However, you see the members of RV rocking their colors as well as having some extreme zaniness hinting that while you may be able to find generic idol groups everywhere, they have something that is different and distinguishable in the industry where groups tend to be black or white, Red Velvet are everything in between, which is reflected in both their music, marketing, image, looks, and even in the way the members present themselves.

I give this release a 5/5. Honestly I'm loving everything about this comeback, I've already been playing the life out of "Dumb Dumb." Almost as much as I replayed "Married To The Music." Seriously addictive. The album is also pretty good too!

Last note: remember when Red Velvet debuted and everyone aside from me and like ten others hated them? Now they are a trending group, have the best selling album of a girl group in 2015. 

Insert haterstotheleft.gif here.

2 comments:

  1. Bless their hearts.

    I don't really have much else to say since you've said it all for me, I just wish for them to be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the late reply.
    But yes LONG LIVE RED VELVET!!!!

    ReplyDelete