Saturday, April 11, 2015

[MV Review] SNSD (Girls' Generation) - Catch Me If You Can


Merp :3


Okay so SNSD used to be my favorite girl group right next to 2NE1 when I first got into k-pop but now that I've been into k-pop for some years now, it's obvious my top groups have changed quite a bit. But I still like SNSD, and this song kind of makes up for any lacking they've been having for the past few years.

At first listen, I didn't like "Catch Me If You Can". But then I removed my headphones and just listen to it through speakers and I enjoyed it. What I like about "Catch Me If You Can" musically is the usage of heavy synths during the verses that create an edgy sound. But then comes the bridge-to-the-chorus part out of left-field that could have been transitioned better but is still pretty sounding. Then the dated dub-steppish break down after the chorus that kind of sucks, but everything runs together smoothly after two-or three listens and the song has really been growing on me. The song IS catchy and I've been singing that "My heart" part for the longest. It's a strange mix to say the least. Maybe I'm just lusting for SNSD to release an amazing Korean track already, maybe the song is legitimately good, maybe it's my inner past-SONE speaking but overall I'm enjoying the song. 

What I like about the parts of the song, are the underdogs getting more lines. The song starts off with Yuri, Hyoyeon, Yoona, and Sooyoung. Those four normally get some random bits thrown in the middle of song and mostly stay invisible throughout songs but not here. They share majority of the verses. Sunny, Seohyun, Tiffany, and Taeyeon get the pretty sounding bridge-to-chorus parts, and then Taeyeon and Sooyoung (both sounding heavenly) get the chorus all to themselves carried out by Tiffany. Wow, talk about a brand new Eight-Generation SM! Seriously, I think a lot of people will say the reason why they're switching up the line distribution is because Jessica left and "Catch Me If You Can" will not help people that claim otherwise.

Side note, I didn't notice Jessica not being in the song at all. It still sounds very Girls' Generation-like. Weird.

Onto the video, it's different from Soshi's other videos. This is essentially a dance-version MV with the camera zooming in on whichever member is singing at that moment. What they're wearing is nice edgy, and sexy. The girls look great (their makeup is probably the best I've ever seen. Taeyeon, Seohyun, and Tiffany look freaking AMAZING.) The setting is cool-looking, I like the bright lighting with the dust blowing during the day set, and then the sharp looking lighting during the night set. I also like the orange body suits they're wearing complete with their combat boots. I wish there was a bit more change in sets and clothing but then I again this is pretty nice too. The choreography is great, and is some of SNSD's best choreography to date since "I Got a Boy" and possibly even beats that too.

Overall I give this release a 4.5/5. It really is growing on me, and Dylan Jacob's reaction kind of made me like this release even more just because of the amount of fanboying he does:


Needless to say, I think Eight-Generation is off to a good start.

2 comments:

  1. My opinion of this song seems to change every time I listen to it, I really don't know what I think of it anymore e.e

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that was SM's plan all along...Keep the fan confused with CMIYC so that they don't notice Sica's removal O_O

      Delete