Monday, October 20, 2014

Dear Trap Beats: It's Not You It's the Person Who Raps/Sings Over You


Song is my jam! (Trap @ 1:22)

With k-pop getting out of it's dubstep (well starting) phase, it's only natural that a new trend takes over. And what do you know? Trap beats! The dubstep of hip-hop music. Take that as a compliment or insult, but like it or not, trap is the new "dubstep" of k-pop trends music wise so love it or hate it, it's here for two-three years.

Now, for a while American music has, and still have, been using trap beats. And up until recently I thought that trap music was the reason that I hated (along with the lyrics) of 90% of main-stream American rap artist. However that changed once k-pop started using it. Suddenly I found it kind of cool and not ripping through my ear holes making me want to become deaf. Am I just k-pop biased? Is it because I can't understand what they're saying? Or does k-pop simply remove all of the shit and polish it better? In all honesty it might be all three but the main reason is because of this: the main stream rap artist who rap over trap beats it sucks ass because of how they're rapping over it.


Okay, so hear me out. Rappers now a days don't rap. They scream, yell, use whatever the fuck type of language (that shit ain't English) over it using any type of cringe-worthy cliches that's trendy and cool at the moment to make a "big hit" to hopefully get their track played on the nearest hip-hop radio station. Or in some cases, nationally play. Seriously before I wrote this I tried listening to 2Chainz, Wocka Flocka Flame, Lil' Wayne, Gucci Mane, Miley Cyrus, that nu-school rapper that just appeared out of nowhere and got fucking headache! I don't know what the fuck I'm listening to, I don't know what the hell they're talking about even with the lyrics in front of me and worst of all, not even the beat is worthy of anything. At least when a sucky rapper makes a song, they at least make the beat addictive like this nu-rap rookie:


This song lyric wise is basic, cookie cutter trendy bullshit that I don't even know what the fuck he's talking about but I think he's talking about his friends? His enemies? His mom? His bottom bitch? I DON'T KNOW!!! He isn't shouting throughout the song so that's a plus (I guess). But what do I like about it? The beat is pretty interesting and cool sounding. However the lyrics are the same old written-on-the-toilet nonsense. And when rap lyrics aren't good, the song overall is not good.

Now I by no means hate any of the artist above, I don't know them personally, for all I know they could be good people and they have at least one song that I like, but collectively? No. If you love these artist support them with you're heart, just understand, it ain't that amazing to me. I get enough shit for liking k-pop at school, you can take what you dish out can't you?

With that said, you may wonder why I like this song:


I remember watching this and I was like "Man this beat is so cool! The lyrics actually have some meaning, great symbolism that I don't need to re-watch the music video 50,000 times to make sense of! Fuck this is great!"

And then I saw the description:


My reaction was something like: "Trap music... WAIT A SECOND THIS IS TRAP MUSIC? HOLY FUCK WHY DOES IT SOUND GOOD HERE? WHAT IS THIS SORCERY??? BTS ARE YOU FUCKING WIZARDS OR SOMETHING?????"

From that day until now it bugged me that I liked this song, I was wondering "Why do I like it? It's trap music? When I hear that shit on the radio I want to go deaf for the three-plus minutes it's on so I won't have to bear through that agonizing B.S.!" 

And then this:


Have to admit, I thought it was terrible at first but after another listen I loved it for some off reason.

Then I had an epiphany.

They're not doing anything brand new and revolutionary in basic music perspective, if anything it's just in another language, so why is this one-thousand times better than the stuff I have to sit through on the radio?

Well I can only think of a couple of reasons:
  • It's not under-produced as hell and has some actual decent if not great instrument layering.
  • Lot's of base, but not to the point it makes your speakers blow out and your ear drums explode.
  • No obnoxious-as-fuck sirens or horns going off every five seconds.
  • Gun shots go off at appropriate times.
  • No one is shouting too loud about irrelevant shit.
  • Hot boys.
Okay the last one may not be relevant to the musical portion of the point I'm making but still worth mentioning. And I'm not saying every BTS or k-pop song with trap in it is good, because in some songs it got really annoying, but still like 1000% more bearable than the latters.

They may be following the hip-hop trends (and the trends above have come and gone here in America) visually, but musically, in my opinion, they perfected something that was bound for me to eternally hate, and even made the songs on the radio slightly more bearable, and the same goes for SECRET:


Everything in Zinger's rap part (@1:40) is trap. 

So there trap music, I don't hate you, I just don't like some of the people rapping style who rap over you. Truce?

No comments:

Post a Comment