Thursday, July 3, 2014

[MV Review] F(x) - "Red Light"


Yes the album is better than the title track. 


Okay, to start of the trap parts of the song actually sound good. K-pop can actually make trap beats bearable for me. Majority (not all) of recent American rappers make trap beats in rap music so fucking unbearable I can't even listen to the radio without getting an instant headache. I don't have a problem at all with the verses, bridge to the chorus, or the bridge at all. The song overall is great however I do have a problem with…

….Incoming rant in 3…2…1…
THE FUCKING DUB-STEP IN THE CHORUS! WHAT THE FUCK SM WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO MY EARS!!! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO F(X)???? WHAT DID THEY DO TO DESERVE SUCH A TRASHY CHORUS!!! WHAT THE FUCK????????????? IT HAS NO MELODY JUST SOUND EFFECTS AND A BUNCH OF BULLSHIT! THAT IS NOT HOW YOU MAKE A FUCKING CHORUS!!!!

K-Pop, can you please stop putting dub-step where it doesn't need to be. Stick to improving trap beats so that it can rub off on modern rap musicians so that I don't barf every time Future or Wiz Khalifa comes out with a new song. After School's "Flashback" had dub-step and that was fin because it was already a heavy club banging song with lots of EM and all of that other stuff. Throwing it inside a trap hip/hop and pop inspired song is just fucking ear murder. Sure it all grow on me (it already is tbh.) And it's nowhere near as bad as IGAB which took me like 1000+ listens for me to jam (and get #3 on my favorite songs list of 2013 mind you ahem.) Because after the second listen I was naming to it, just cringing to the chorus.

After listening to high-light melody a day ago, when I heard the sample of the track "Red Light" I rolled my eyes because all of the songs had played before "Red Light." The reason why is "Red Light" pales in comparison to every song on the album. Yes, just like with every other F(x) release the full album shits on the title tracks greatly. Minus their previous years were the albums were solid however the title track may have been the best song on their. I'd say pre-2012. 

I feel bad for cha_cha, she hates dub-step more than I do….

Music video wise, it's the coolest MV SM has release this year. I love the set changes and camera work along with the red lights (my personal faves) where they close up on the members. I'm not 100% sure with the symbolism of the video however the lyrics are right up F(x)'s alley. Weird but makes sense especially when you see the MV here. F(x) are definitely one of the most unique groups out there and the Tim Burton esc. concept is still banging. All the members looked lovely and the MV was actually interesting to look at. 

I give the song a 3.75/5. Everything is awesome however the dub-step in the chorus really ruins it. The would easily be a 5/5 if there was no dub-step and a bit more of a melody. Plus one can already tell that the album will make you forget of that ratchet chorus. Who knows, it might grow on me and become my #1 song at the end of year.

I give the MV a 4.75/5. It's pretty awesome to look at, very cool. I bumped them up .75 points because they are my ultimate favorite girl group and it's honestly just the dub-step that ruins the song. Yes I'm biased. 

Overall dub-step should stay the fuck out of F(x) and overall K-Pop's songs. Forever. And it should only be used if it actually fits the song. Most of the time, it doesn't. 

2 comments:

  1. And now I can't stop listening to it. Fuck it. This song is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel bad for me. I've been jamming to this shit all day. I see you have too.

    ReplyDelete